Thursday, June 28, 2012

Synthesis Review

I found in my primary data that technology usage, including the internet, is becoming much more available and widely used. In fact, it almost seems as though it's a necessity. My secondary data provided information that confirmed what I found in my primary data; internet is becoming much more popular, especially because of social networking sites, such as Facebook and Myspace. My media diet logs found plenty of support that students use these sites often, but my interviews proved otherwise because these sites, as well as the internet, were unavailable during previous generations' youth.

As the internet is becoming more advanced and more popular, kids and teens are logging onto it and joining the ever-popular social networking sites. The ages for joining these sites get younger and younger: Facebook, for example, used to be for college students. Then, it allowed high schoolers to join. No, anyone can join. You could make a profile for your 4 year old child if you wanted to.

This connects to Boyd's article because these growing social networking sites are how teens and kids are forming their identities. They can mold themselves into who they want to be or how they want others to see them based on their profiles or pictures or interactions with "Friends." It also can define how kids act; if they see pictures of a "cool" kid doing something, they may indulge in it as well.

My primary research shows how technology has grown and evolved, and how it is used very frequently. This connects to my secondary sources because my secondary sources show how this evolution is changing out people define themselves and create their identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment